WORLD SUICIDE PREVENTION DAY
September 10th is World Suicide Prevention Day
World Suicide Prevention Day is an annual awareness day observed on September 10th to provide support, education, and resources for people affected by suicide and to raise awareness about suicide prevention and mental health. The goal is to reduce the number of suicides globally and to promote resources for help and support for those who may be struggling with thoughts of suicide.
Suicide is often the result of multiple factors, including:
- Mental illness, such as depression, anxiety, and substance abuse
- Stressful life events, such as loss of a loved one, financial problems, or job loss
- Chronic physical pain or illness
- Access to lethal means, such as firearms
- Lack of access to mental health resources
- Substance abuse
- Family history of suicide or violence
- Personal history of trauma or abuse
- Cultural or societal factors, such as stigma and lack of support
It’s important to remember that suicide is preventable, and help is available for those who may be struggling with suicidal thoughts or mental health concerns.
If you know someone who is struggling with thoughts of suicide, it’s important to take their concerns seriously and offer support. Here are some steps you can take:
- Encourage them to seek professional help: Offer to help them make an appointment with a mental health professional or primary care doctor.
- Be there for them: Let them know that you care and are willing to listen and support them.
- Remove access to lethal means: If you suspect someone may be at immediate risk, remove any firearms, medications, or other items that could be used to harm themselves.
- Stay with them: Do not leave them alone if they are in immediate danger.
- Encourage them to call a crisis helpline or reach out to local emergency services.
- Take care of yourself: Supporting someone through a difficult time can be emotionally challenging. Make sure to prioritize your own self-care and seek support from friends, family, or a mental health professional if needed.
You are not alone! We are here to help. Click here to book an appointment.